Friday, March 19, 2010

Rata-tat-tat......spring vibrations...

on my roof, on several trees..... the flicker aka 'mini jackhammer' is busy busy letting the world know he's available!!! i love the sounds of spring.. the chirping robins who've arrived in hoards... the toehee that's looking for goodies on my deck, to the chickadees and nuthatches that are zipping back and forth from feeders to trees...

i was kind of sad today, i had to bury a wee robin who'd hit one of my windows... i was amazed that sampson my 'bird' dog was interested but only in passing and seemed to understand that i was feeling sad about the bird... since having feeders up he's getting much better about not chasing them and i even managed to have 2 mallards come for 2 days and borrow my 'winter' pond... 'winter' because it dries up in about june...

i also have noted the amazing number of scurrying red/black ants... i managed to save a rather large caterpiller who was vallantly attempting to 'outrun' them.. poor creature was covered with the ants so i scooped him up with a big leaf and managed to get all the ants off him... placed him over by my compost pile, where no red ants are.. and left him to defend himself again, all the while hoping that he won't just eat all my comfry or other herb that is planted in that section!!!

it's been a bit since i last posted... my kitchen has a small addition of a microwave stand and i'm in need of discovering some sort of 'treasure' to put my spices in.... i've painted my hall, put up some 'sally ann' specials and now am in the midst of having my much wanted red front door...i know it's supposed to bring good luck, but i just feel that is brings in good energy.. and a hint of the person living inside.. (or not)!!


sally ann special #1



sally ann special #2

at first look i thought they were bathing but no.. they are fishermen and
women



sally ann special #3

all for $15.00 each and they've been sitting in my closet for several years..



i've gotten my little seedlings going, yesterday started my tomato seedlings, their a wee bit late but lots of time before may, when i'll have my little hot house ready for them....

i've attempted further organization of my big shed and in the process of all the painting and fixing.. my little shed is back to being in an upheaval... ah well... life in the 'fast' lane huh!!!

4 comments:

Mr. H. said...

I like the artwork and am always on the lookout for a picture of an old Japanese village with a beautiful plum tree in full blossom in the background that I once saw.

We put a little bird feeder right outside the window so that when I sit here and type I can watch the chickadees...I think that is what they are.

Better to start your tomato seedlings a bit late than too early. Summers coming.:)

Roasted Garlicious said...

isn't it funny how we see pictures or items, don't get them and never forget them... i'm always drawn towards oriental items..the simplicity perhaps? i love my feeders.. unfortunately they've brought the mice with them.. sighhh.. i can't wait for tomatoes, the peas and tomatoes are my ultimate favorites in the garden... mmmmmm summer :D

sharp green pencil said...

Thank you so much for your kind comment on the blog and I do hope your mason bees are doing better!I can see you are a bee lover..
Lots of lovely things on your blog and .. I am not particularly superstious but I love to have a red front door.. my last one was I think what you would describe as strawberry!

Roasted Garlicious said...

thanks for visiting Sharp Green Pencil.. your work is wonderful!!! and your blog equally so...my mason bees i'm still not seeing... it's been chilly so perhaps thats the reason why... but i must admit i'm getting worried :( our bees are precious aren't they....